Dr. Carroll Loyer, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM (Cardiology)
Carroll Loyer, DVM is board certified in Cardiology as a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. He has seen well over 20,000 cardiology patients and performed over 13,000 ultrasound examinations.
He has always been hospital-based, and not “roving”, so he has experience with what happens for clients and patients over time and with their medications.
He is also currently involved in fine art photography, guitar and doumbek, and loves to travel.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Colorado State University
- First student at Colorado State University to take elective courses in abdominal ultrasound and echocardiography.
- General practice, Emergency medicine
- Internship in medicine and surgery at Santa Cruz Veterinary Hospital
- Performed echocardiography at Santa Cruz Veterinary Hospital during internship
- Studied radiology/abdominal ultrasound under Drs. Jim Ticer and Larry Kerr
- Staff echocardiographer Colorado State University
- Asked to return to Colorado State to perform all the cardiac echocardiographic studies, before receiving formal advanced training in cardiology
- Introduced spectral Doppler echocardiography into the CSU cardiology program
- Residency in cardiology at the University of California at Davis
- First Merck-sponsored cardiology resident
- Involved in the conversion to color-flow Doppler echocardiography at UC Davis.
- Developed the methodology to perform the newest technique at the time in veterinary echocardiography, transesophageal echocardiography.
- Performed referral internal medicine with Animal Medical Specialists
- Implemented practice management software
- Veterinary Referral Center of Colorado management team to help form and build VRCC
- Morris Animal Foundation
- Veterinary Honor Roll
- Formed, built up, and sold Veterinary Heart and Lung Specialists
- Veterinary Referral Center of Colorado management team
- Purdue Veterinary Practice Management Program modules taken:
- Human Resource Management
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Veterinary Specialty Practice Alliance member“
- Best Practices” management group
- This group included Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners
- 5280 Magazine: Top Veterinary Cardiologist
- One of the first veterinarians to import and use Pimobendan in the United States
- Contributor to the Quest Study
- Allowed Pimobendan to be distributed widely in the United States
- Contributor to the VetScope Study
- Showed that Pimobendan can be used earlier in the course of heart disease to improve both quality of life and longevity of life
- Developed and implemented EchoVet™, the only veterinary ultrasound software with complete sets of normal ultrasound values
- User interface, programming, values compilation, internet distribution and control system
- Returned to clinical cardiology
- Maintained clinical skills
- Maintained relationships with Denver area veterinarians
- Started Choice Cardiology!